Damascus Community Church - a brief Historical
August 6, 1898 — The German Baptist Brethren
of Powell Valley (later known as “Church of the
Brethren”) was deeded a piece of land near the Damascus
1898-1908 — The Damascus church became a
mission of the Portland “Church of the Brethren”.
1908-1942— three pastors and several guest
preachers ministered to the small congregation.
1942 —Rev. V.A.Weir pastored the church.
December 22, 1946 — the congregation was
organized as an interdenominational church with
April 4, 1947 — the 1898 property deed was
transferred to the new Damascus Community
Church. The late 1940’s and 50’s were marked by
active Bible study groups and other ministries.
The physical facilities were enlarged. There was
joint participation in Youth for Christ with the
Sandy, Barton, Haley, and Sunnyside churches.
July, 1950 — Rev. Forrest Forbes, a former
missionary, succeeded Rev. Weir, serving until November
1955 — Mr. Guilford S. Martin served as pastor,
until 1965. In the late 1950’s, additional “annex”
property (formerly Damascus School) was purchased
and a parsonage was added.
October, 1965 — Rev. David A. Hay served
as pastor, continuing until April 1972.
1967 — New property for expansion was decided
upon, and construction on the new Rust Way (our
present facility) building began in April 1968.
June 10, 1973 — Rev. David A. Whiting started
a full time pastorate, serving for 26 years until
his death in February of 1999.
September, 1975 — Damascus Christian School
began, with Tim Oakley named as principal.
1979 — A new constitution was adopted for
DCC, bringing about a transition from congregational
to an elder form of government.
1980’s — Growth in the church and overcrowding
led to purchase in 1981 of property on Armstrong
Circle for a new potential church site.
March, 2001 — Steven Hardy begins ministry
as Senior (Lead) Pastor. He joins a pastoral
team that includes Bob Watt (Caring and Family Ministries),
Tim Oakley (Damascus Christian School) and Phil Rankin (Student Ministries).
January 2004 — Facilities are undergoing
upgrades and January 2004 saw a new Library Building
installed on the site.
2005 – New outreach efforts continue to develop
for our community and around the world. Fellowship
and assimilation have been encouraged through our
adult Community Groups. Implementation of commissions
continues, involving members of the body in the
administration of various ministries. An architect
has been hired for the development of a concept
master plan for grounds and facilities, to better
enable ministries now and into the future.